Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Umair: Introduction

I grew up as a voracious reader, but never a writer. This was because of a lack of confidence and ability. The former because I never thought I would be as good as those I read, and the latter because, well, I was never really a good writer. The University of Michigan changed both those things. Somewhere along the 60-odd papers I wrote in 3 years, I acquired the coherence to articulate my opinions. The Blue Rickshaw is hence a fitting tribute to those years, a tangible product of an outstanding education. As a Pakistani it will be impossible to not talk about the myriad of issues afflicting the country, but in a personal capacity I would want to talk about more. If my reading sources are any indication, it would make an eclectic series of posts for sure.

Finally, a bit about my favorite rickshaw memory. One not-so-fine morning, back in junior school, my school van decided not to pick me up. Both my cars were in use, and hence I found myself facing the prospect of going to school in a noisy rickshaw. It didn’t help that I went to an elite school in Karachi, where kids couldn’t fathom travel in anything other than a luxury sedan. So I arrived in front of the school gate, red faced and stumbling, facing a bunch of wide-eyed kids who looked at me as if I were an alien. Silly as it may sound, it was one of the more embarrassing moments of my childhood. Back then I thought ‘why did this happen to me’ today I know why it did.

3 comments:

  1. I can attest to U of M making you a better writer.
    Good luck with this great endeavor buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings! I've been reading your weblog for a while now and finally got the courage to go
    ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Tx! Just wanted to tell
    you keep up the good work!

    Here is my web page ... apple news

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there colleagues, fastidious piece of writing and fastidious arguments commented here, I am
    really enjoying by these.

    Here is my website ... green coffee bean max extract

    ReplyDelete